Photo Credit: Hammonton Photography. Creative Commons License via Flickr.
In my new article, I tackle five myths that survivors of narcissistic abuse are likely to encounter on their healing journey. These include:
1. The idea that malignant narcissists can change and that couples therapy can help them.
2. The illusion of the narcissist ‘changing’ with the new victim.
3. The myth that all narcissists suffer from low self-esteem and do not know what they’re doing.
4. The harmful advice to prematurely forgive before one is ready or willing.
5. The myth that we can spiritually bypass our emotions on the road to healing.
I hope you find these five reality checks helpful and validating. Remember to trust yourself during this process and extend your compassion to yourselves.
Copyright © 2017 by Shahida Arabi.
All rights reserved. This article is derived from copyrighted excerpts from my book, Becoming the Narcissist’s Nightmare: How to Devalue and Discard the Narcissist While Supplying Yourself. No part of this entry may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author. This includes adaptations in all forms of media.